In order to keep yourself prepared and ready in advance of an unforeseen accident or disaster (as witnessed in the Great Tohoku Area Disaster of March 11th 2011), we strongly recommend that you a) save essential emergency numbers to your phone, b) register your details with the Irish Embassy in Japan ( https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/japan/our-services/
), c) carry an emergency card ( https://inj.or.jp/sites/default/files/images/ESG-card03.pdf
) with you at all times, and d) familiarize yourself with the precautions which you can take to prepare for an earthquake, tsunami, or typhoon (for example reserve food and water supplies, available TV or radio, loose change, securing your surroundings, disaster equipment, contingency and safe evacuation plans if necessary, English language support, and so forth).
For more information on what to do in an emergency or how to prepare in case of an emergency (important phone numbers, English language assistance etc.) then click on the ‘Emergency’ and ‘Healthcare’ sections of the ‘Useful Links’ page ( https://inj.or.jp/link/emigrants?lang=en
Please also note the following helpful Japanese expressions which can be used in an emergency.
The website below was produced to help non-Japanese speaking foreigners in Japan to explain (via printable forms) the condition of injuries and symptoms of illness to doctors and other medical personnel.
· To Report a Crime or Traffic Accident – Dial ‘110’.
· To Report a Fire or Request an Ambulance – Dial ‘119’.
· If you are not sure about what to do – Dial ‘7119’.
· When you want to consult the police in English (Mon-Fri, 8:30am – 5:15pm) – Dial ’03-3501-0110’.
· Emergency Assistance in English – phone the Japan Helpline, Japan's only 24 hour non-profit, nationwide emergency assistance service.Call 24 hours a day, from anywhere about anything, anytime from a simple question to emergency assistance. Call 0570 000 911 24 Hours / 7 Days a Week. http://www.jhelp.com/en/jhlp.html
· Need counseling or advice? (Relationship Problems, Money Worries, Depression, Health Concerns, Legal Advice ) – Japan Helpline provides confidential 24/7 counseling by trained counselors in English –Call 0570 000 911 24 Hours / 7 Days a Week. http://www.jhelp.com/en/jhlp.html
‘Tokyo English Life Line’ (24/7 - 9.00am – 11.00pm) also provide a counseling service Call 03-5774-0992 / http://www.telljp.com
· Disaster and Emergency Information Center – (24 hours/7 days) – (03-3212-2323).
· If you have one on you, make use of your 24/7 Emergency Information Business Card (print off here or request a card, HERE!)
· Assistance from the Irish Embassy in Japan and the Irish Government –
Embassy of Ireland in Japan- (03-3263-0695) - 10am-12.30pm / 2pm-4pm.
Department of Foreign Affairs in Ireland <24 hour duty officer> EMERGENCIES ONLY 001-353-1-4780822
Other Useful Links for Preparing and Dealing with an Emergency:
British Embassy Travel Advice - http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/japan
English Speaking Medical Staff and their Institutions -
Fire and Disaster Management Agency – http://www.fdma.go.jp/en
Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department – https://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/
Tokyo Fire Department English Page – http://www.tfd.metro.tokyo.jp/eng